At Bank of America, we are guided by a common purpose to help make financial lives better through the power of every connection. Responsible Growth is how we run our company and how we deliver for our clients, teammates, communities and shareholders every day.
One of the keys to driving Responsible Growth is being a great place to work for our teammates around the world. We’re devoted to being a diverse and inclusive workplace for everyone. We hire individuals with a broad range of backgrounds and experiences and invest heavily in our teammates and their families by offering competitive benefits to support their physical, emotional, and financial well-being.
Bank of America believes both in the importance of working together and offering flexibility to our employees. We use a multi-faceted approach for flexibility, depending on the various roles in our organization.
Working at Bank of America will give you a great career with opportunities to learn, grow and make an impact, along with the power to make a difference. Join us!
The Electronic Trading and System Risk Compliance Officer is responsible for ensuring the identification, escalation and timely mitigation of compliance and operational risks within Japan and the region. This role is an individual contributor position in based in Tokyo.
- Liaise with senior management in APAC GT&O and functional leaders in compliance, legal, risk, and other functions in Japan to provide effective challenge, guidance and advice on matters related to electronic trading system risks.
- Takes an active leadership role in maintaining and communicating regulatory changes impacting electronic trading systems, advising and directing business leaders to ensure that regulatory requirements are addressed in their respective process and controls so that their day-to-day activities operate in a compliant manner.
- Proactively engages other C&OR officers, Enterprise Areas of Coverage (EAC) roles, and horizontal function roles to provide comprehensive oversight of Front-Line Unit (“FLU”) and Control Function (“CF”) activities as those pertain to our system risk control framework.
- Identify, collect, validate and record internal loss events and “near misses.” that arise from system issues in conjunction with FLU compliance officers. Perform root cause analyses on internal loss events and develop remediation plans to strengthen controls.
- Identify, review and document relevant external loss events.
- Provide advice around system incident reporting required under Japanese regulations and internal policies.
- Effectively challenging to the analysis of root cause and thematic issues around system incidents conducted by the first line of defense.
- Conduct compliance and operational risk assessments of FLU and CF, incorporating review of external loss events to assess control effectiveness around areas of electronic trading system risks.
- Provides independent review and challenge of the FLU/CF’s Risk & Control Self-Assessment (RCSA) in particular aspects that relate to electronic trading systems.
- Leads the efforts and/or contributes to monitoring and testing coverage plans and related metrics for FLU or CF.
- Monitor and test the effectiveness of the FLU and CF compliance and operational risk controls.
- Identify aggregate, report and escalate compliance and operational risks, issues and control enhancements around electronic trading systems.
- Contribute to Scenario Analyses to provide a forward-looking estimate of hypothetical operational losses.
- Executes and/or provides oversight of governance and management routines at governance forums, particularly Equities Electronic Trading Risk Management Committee and System Risk meeting.
- Identify compliance and operational risk training needs, particularly on areas of system risks, and provide subject matter expertise to support development of training curriculum and inspect FLU/CF and third-party participation.
- Provides consultation to business leaders in preparations for regulatory exams and audits for FLU/CF and related Enterprise Areas of Coverage.
- Inspect that commitments made regarding actions in response to Matters Requiring Attention (“MRAs”) and other actions are completed.
- Escalate regulatory related concerns to Compliance and Operational Risk Executive
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum 8 years of experience in Compliance or Regulatory Role or equivalent experience in Technology.
- Experience or knowledge of equities, high frequency trading, algorithms and direct market access technology infrastructure.
- Expertise with the regulatory and market structure framework of APAC and global technology.
- Ability to make recommendations and provide guidance to effectively advance projects across a globally integrated enterprise.
- Knowledge of compliance change and operational risk.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with knowledge of and proficiency in the use of systems, technology and case management terminology, and the ability to translate technical terms into plain English.
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills, with the ability to influence senior management and other stakeholders to successfully implement and deliver change.
- Leadership and management experience with strong technical and analytical skills.
- Strong business analysis and problem solving skills.
- Self-motivated, operates with a sense of urgency and strong attention to detail.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize work in a deadline-intensive environment.
- Strong MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint skills and able to easily to manipulate and analyze broad range of data.
Learn more about this role