At Bank of America, we are guided by a common purpose to help make financial lives better through the power of every connection. Responsible Growth is how we run our company and how we deliver for our clients, teammates, communities and shareholders every day.
One of the keys to driving Responsible Growth is being a great place to work for our teammates around the world. We’re devoted to being a diverse and inclusive workplace for everyone. We hire individuals with a broad range of backgrounds and experiences and invest heavily in our teammates and their families by offering competitive benefits to support their physical, emotional, and financial well-being.
Bank of America believes both in the importance of working together and offering flexibility to our employees. We use a multi-faceted approach for flexibility, depending on the various roles in our organization.
Working at Bank of America will give you a great career with opportunities to learn, grow and make an impact, along with the power to make a difference. Join us!
- Part of the APAC Equities Legal team comprising 13+ lawyers in HK, Japan and Australia.
- Provide day-to-day legal support to the structured notes Trading, Structuring and Sales teams in APAC, including working closely with the relevant desks in Equities and FICC, as well as Treasury/Treasury Legal, on live trades and transactions over a range of underlying asset classes (including equities, indices, ETFs, funds, interest rates and currencies), reviewing product termsheets and final terms, drafting termsheets and final terms templates for new products, reviewing complex transaction structures (e.g. transactions which involve a chain of back-to-back trades and cross border arrangements) and advising on any legal/regulatory issues involved, and handling queries from the desks in relation to note issuances, trade amendments and restructuring.
- Work with legal teams in other regions and external counsel to maintain and update BofA’s notes, warrants and certificates programme, and to build new product terms and issuance capabilities into the programme as required by the desks in APAC.
- Advise on securities laws issues, selling restrictions, and issues involved in marketing and distribution of structured notes in APAC markets, including advising on different sales channels and distribution models involving the use of third party distributors.
- Provide legal support to the investable index business, including reviewing rulebooks for new BofA investable indices, and advising on any legal/regulatory issues involved in the marketing, sale and distribution of products over BofA investable indices in APAC markets.
- Work with the business teams and legal team in Japan on structured notes and investable indices related initiatives, and in particular, provide input and guidance from a regional/global perspective to ensure that the local business is being conducted in line with any applicable enterprise standards, policies, procedures and governance framework.
- Negotiate legal documents, including distribution agreements, investor representation letters, index license agreements and confidentiality agreements.
- Advise on structured trades in OTC form, including drafting confirmation templates for new products, reviewing trade structures and advising on counterparty capacity/eligibility issues.
- May be opportunities to assist on other areas covered by the Equities Legal Team, including prime brokerage, stock lending, global/regulatory projects, as required.
- This is an independent role and would not be responsible for managing people.
- 10+ years of post-qualification experience acquired from top-tier law firms and/or global financial institutions supporting Global Markets businesses.
- Several years prior experience working on note programmes and structured note issuances. Good product knowledge, familiarity with commonly-traded products and different forms of wrappers in APAC markets, and ability to understand trade economics of complex products and work directly with Trading/Structuring teams on new product structures are crucial to the success of this role.
- Knowledge of investable index issues and OTC equity derivatives is an advantage.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, demanding and collaborative environment with many stakeholders.
- Independent, self-starter capable of prioritizing conflicting demands and handling multiple assignments simultaneously.
- Strong influencing and leadership skills, including decisiveness on both legal and business issues.
- Business level fluency in oral and written English. Chinese language capability is an advantage.
Learn more about this role