- Responsible for managing the company's State and Local Government public policy strategy on a regional basis, including education and advocacy with government officials.
- Manages contract personnel (external lobbyists) as well as trade association and coalition relationships.
- Seeks to identify and address legislative and political risks and opportunities impacting our company (and industry) at the state and local level.
- An important and priority role of the position is to provide counsel and support to our market presidents based in each state for this region, which includes guidance and problem resolution on public policy issues, risks and related matters.
- Establishes and maintains relationships, as appropriate, with public officials.
- Works collaboratively with internal partners as well as Public Policy colleagues as a top priority.
- Advises senior management of pending legislation and public policy issues.
- Reports to the Public Policy Director for Southeast State and Local Government Relations.
- Manages the company’s public policy and political strategy development and implementation on a regional basis.
- Establishes and maintains relationships, as appropriate, with state and local public officials and staff members.
- Provides counsel and support to our corporate executives based in each state which includes guidance and problem resolution on public policy issues, risks, and related matters.
- Advises senior management in other state markets in Region of pending legislation and public policy issues.
- Serves on the Executive Committee of the bank’s State and Federal Political Action Committee.
- Manages external lobbyists, as well as trade association and coalition relationships, ensuring compliance with applicable bank policies and legal requirements.
- Works collaboratively with line of business units, Legal, Public Policy colleagues, and other internal partners.
The successful candidate must be a strong, decisive and results-oriented leader who can:
- Maintain a strong and proactive executive presence with an ability to partner closely with senior leaders;
- Develop and manage relationships across the company and with a variety of external partners based on integrity, trust, teamwork and knowledge; and
- Translate vision and strategy into clear actionable goals, while constantly seeking process improvements in a complex corporate environment.
- Minimum 5-10 years of state government relations experience and achievements.
- Career experience interfacing with state and local public officials (Governors, Attorneys General, State Legislators, State Agencies, Mayors, City Councils and other local officials).
- Proven, strong organizational and time management abilities with the ability to successfully multi-task and make accurate decisions under short time deadlines.
- Managerial capabilities, including high level of integrity and a proven ability to manage contract lobbyists, trade association relationships, and other resources.
- Critical thinking skills with the capacity to process complex issues and to create strategic action plans in an accurate and timely manner.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills with a track record as a proven communicator.
- Ability to comfortably and regularly interface with senior state/local officials, as well as senior corporate executives.
- As a team player, work well with internal partners and operate effectively within bank policies, corporate processes, and a results-oriented team environment.
- Experienced business traveler with an ability to manage travel costs and potentially extensive travel demands.
1st shift (United States of America)
Hours Per Week:
Learn more about this role