Bank of America Brazil seeks a qualified attorney to provide broad based legal support within its Global Banking and Markets (GBAM) division. This attorney will provide legal advice and related guidance to Credit Trading, Equities and FICC Sales and Trading personnel in connection with GBAM’s institutional credit trading, equities and fixed income activities, as well as other in-house support partners such as Compliance, GFC, Operations, Wholesale Credit and Risk.
The successful candidate will be invited to join Bank of America Merrill Lynch Legal Department as a member of the team covering GBAM and will report to GBAM Counsel. The position will have a focus on providing transactional, regulatory and other legal support to Markets. Routinely and independently engaging with and providing timely and thorough legal advice to Sales & Trading personnel relating to purchase and sale of distressed assets, over-the-counter derivatives, repo, cash equities and options business, including but not limited to high-touch trading and electronic trading, cross-border investments and investments funds.
- Advising with regard to laws, rules and regulations that affect activities of the Global Banking and Markets division.
- Providing advice and guidance with respect to related products and services.
- Drafting and reviewing agreements and other documents related to the activities of the Global Banking and Markets division (i.e. master derivative agreements, confirmations, security agreements, brokerage agreements, assignment agreements, credit trading etc.)
- Providing support in drafting responses to various regulators in connection with investigations, litigations, examinations, and general inquiries.
- Developing close partnerships with other in-house control partners in the Legal Department, Compliance, GFC and Risk.
- In the event external counsel is engaged, helping to liaison with the business, coordinating and managing the work done by external counsel.
- Assisting in the preparation, review and negotiation of transaction related standard documentation;
- Working closely with other internal lawyers, including regulatory and credit lawyers;
- Along with Compliance and Product, providing guidance on the interpretation and implementation of laws and regulations and Firm policies, procedures and guidelines;
- Reviewing and advising on publications and other communications for internal and external use;
- Identifying and assisting in developing training opportunities for Business;
- Developing a relationship with bankers as a trusted strategic partner to the business;
- Coordinating and responding to queries from Business and other administrative and control functions (Risk Management, Products, Contract Management, Operations) on legal matters relating to or arising out of the Markets business and international transactions; including the procurement of appropriate regulatory advice;
- Sharing and assisting in the management of know-how with other members of the LATAM legal team; and
- Providing sophisticated and practical advice to the Business.
Core skills and requirements
- Brazilian qualified lawyer with at least +10-15 years of experience covering securities laws and regulations related to the financial services industry (securities/brokerage/banking/derivatives)
- Admitted to OAB in good standing
- Knowledge of general principles of international law
- Fluency in English and Portuguese is mandatory; Spanish will be a valuable plus
- Excellent communications skills, both written and oral, and meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to collaborate and partner in a team-oriented environment and to navigate and coordinate across the Legal Department
Learn more about this role