The Merchant Sales Officer (MSO) is the primary solutions architect working in partnership with the GTS and LOB sales teams and clients across BB, GCB and GCBK. The remit could include general support regionally or a specific industry sector focus such as: Healthcare & Colleges/Universities, Consumer & Retail, Commercial Real Estate, Media & Telecom, General Industries, PSB and Petroleum.
Industry specialists will have a deep understanding of segment verticals – including growth, opportunities and challenges; know industry specific tools like Yardi, Real Page, Tempus, InstaMed, Oracle, NCR, etc.; and are well versed in points of integrations to specific industry centric peripherals, workflow tools, ISVs.
Regional/LOB aligned associates will need to have a deep and wide understanding of the client segment, Payment ecosystem, merchant processing and how to match our solutions against the needs of our clients.
The MSO’s primary objective is to drive sales within their respective portfolios by serving as the technical consultant to both internal sales teams and their clients. Through the client engagement process, the MSO will provide consultative services to highly complex processing configurations that result in architected solution which afford clients the ability to process payments in the most optimal and efficient way possible. The MSO bridges knowledge gaps within platform configurations, associated product, feature, functionality, application, and usability while providing critical feedback to the product owners within the commerce organization.
Key Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Originates new merchant business either self-sourced or in partnership with the banker and TSO
- Deep understanding of a client’s commerce ecosystem and the ability to consult on ways to integrate, cover industry standards and trends and BACs product solutions
- Main point of contact for contract negotiations, RFP, pricing
- Ability to appropriately drive solutions per relationship across the merchant solutions set - transarmour, equipment, IPP, etc.
- Work across a matrixed coverage organization to achieve objectives - working with banker and TSO to uncover opportunities, advise in the best way to target prospects and close new business
- Manage the existing portfolio of merchant clients looking for ways to examine the business, drive more volume, deploy more product and responsibly retain and grow revenue
- Be first point of call for bankers, TSOs and clients on merchant business, advice, portfolio management
- Provide strategic guidance to help clients stay ahead of merchant trends and be committed to delivering the solutions that make commerce easier
Skills and Experience required
- Consultative sales experience with Business Banking, Large Corporate, and/or Commercial Banking clients
- Experience within one of the five key industries across BB, GCB and GCBK: Healthcare & Colleges/Universities, Consumer & Retail, Commercial Real Estate, Media & Telecom, and General Industries
- 10 years of Core Acquiring (Credit/Debit) industry experience
- 5+ years of direct sales experience
- 5+ years of sales/portfolio management experience, including C-level sales.
- Expert knowledge of POS (integrated/standalone) payment interfaces
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Ability to cultivate and strengthen client relationships with senior business and IT staff member
- Ability to technically consult with C-level executives within client environment
- Demonstrated experience working with 3rd party VAR’s / Integrators and payment gateways
- Understanding of PC payment applications, merchant services industry applications, accounting systems, competition/competitive landscape in the payments industry, enterprise resource planning systems (ERP), data security (PCI), file formatting, and data transmissions
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision toward the achievement of personal and team goals.
- Demonstrated effective communication skills, including written, oral and presentation skills.
- Effective planning, prioritization and time management acumen.
- Ability to coach colleagues with less experience and/or knowledge, as necessary.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook, OneNote
- Ability to quickly learn various sales applications
- Knowledge and experience in payments, merchant services, or related industry sales and consultation.
- Consultative mindset, with the ability to develop client and business strategies to maximize growth and development.
- Technologically savvy; comfortable with tablet and cloud-based solutions.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- People management background in a sales and/or service environment
- Sales Force knowledge
- Knowledge of FDC core systems/infrastructures/interfaces
- PCI Standards and Information Security knowledge
- Works in varied environments involving sitting and standing. Ability to sit for prolonged periods of time, including as a driver or passenger in an automobile, airplane, train. Ability to utilize a tablet and telephone prolonged periods of time. Ability to visit and move around at client sites including the ability to maneuver in a variety of places. Ability to lift, carry, and otherwise transport work-related materials that may weigh up to 25 lbs. and that may occasionally weigh in excess of 25 lbs.
- Travel is required to perform essential functions of the role.
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, performance standards, measurements, skills or requirements associated with this job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require other or different tasks to be performed when circumstances change.
Location – Local coverage for BB & GCB ; Major city such as New York, Chicago, San Francisco preferred; open discussion
1st shift (United States of America)
Hours Per Week:
Learn more about this role