The Mainframe Services Virtual Platform Engineer provides technical support for Red Hat Enterprise Linux on IBM Z and z/VM.
- Participating in design, development and implementation of systems engineering activities, to include operating system technical support, systems programming and data center capabilities
- Responsible for components of complex engineering and/or analytical tasks and activities
- Serving as a seasoned/proficient technical resource; providing tech knowledge and capabilities as team member and individual contributor
- Influencing and directing activities of a team related to special initiatives or operations
- Providing problem determination and resolution, installing and updating newly developed software to assigned systems
- Responsible for the operating system and associated subsystems
- Providing system-level support of multi-user operating systems, hardware and software tools, including installation, configuration, maintenance, and support of these systems
- Identifying alternatives for optimizing computer resources.
- Ability to investigate and analyze information and to draw conclusions
- Collecting information to analyze and evaluate existing or proposed systems
- Researching, planning, installing, configuring, troubleshooting, maintaining and upgrading hardware and software interfaces with the operating system
- Working as a team member with other technical staff, such as networking and storage, to ensure connectivity and compatibility between systems.
- Writing and maintaining system documentation
- Matching current technology with the needs of the company
Required Job Skills:
- 7- 10 years in Information Technology
- 5 years Linux engineering experience
- Experience with building packages
- Experience with Bash and other scripting
- Knowledge of IBM mainframe technologies including z/VM
- Good communication skills both written and oral are required as the individual must interface with application developers, support teams, software vendors and management staff
Desired Job Skills:
- 5 – 10 years Red Hat Enterprise Linux engineering experience
- IBM z/VM mainframe systems programmer experience
- REXX, TCPIP, Computer Associates products, Web-Interfaces
- Experience with building Red Hat Package Manager (RPM) packages
- Experience or familiarity with Ansible, OpenShift, Bitbucket, Jira, Confluence, and Artifactory
- Information Technology degree from an accredited university
Core Technology Infrastructure Organization:
- Is committed to building a workplace where every employee is welcomed and given the support and resources to perform their jobs successfully.
- Wants to be a great place for people to work and strive to create an environment where all employees have the opportunity to achieve their goals.
- Believes diversity makes us stronger so we can reflect, connect and meet the diverse needs of our clients and employees around the world.
- Provides continuous training and development opportunities to help employees achieve their career goals, whatever their background or experience.
- Is committed to advancing our tools, technology, and ways of working to better serve our clients and their evolving business needs.
- Believes in responsible growth and is dedicated to supporting our communities by connecting them to the lending, investing and giving they need to remain vibrant and vital.
LOB Job Profile:
Leads and/or participates in the design, development, and implementation of complex system engineering activities involving cross-functional technical support, systems programming and data center capabilities. Responsible for components of highly complex engineering and/or analytical tasks and activities. Establishes input/output processes and working parameters for hardware/software compatibility, coordination of subsystems design, and integration of total system. Viewed as a technology subject matter expert; able to provide and communicate complex technology solutions across differing audiences including technical, managerial, business executives, and/or vendors. Will have responsibility for multiple, complex projects; will direct activities of teams related to special initiatives or operations and may have direct reports. Leads the resolution process for complex problems where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of various factors. Exercises judgment within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods, techniques, and evaluation criterion for obtaining results. Information Technology degree and/or technology certifications preferred or substantial equivalent experience. Typically 7-10 years of IT experience.
1st shift (United States of America)
Hours Per Week:
Learn more about this role