Sr. Experience Design Researcher, Bank of America
At Bank of America, we’re guided by a common purpose: to help make financial lives better by connecting clients and communities to the resources they need to be successful. Bank of America’s Experience Design team includes strategic, interaction, visual and motion designers, design program managers, content strategists, and design technologists who are constantly iterating, problem solving, and collaborating to create digital experiences that will help customers reach their financial goals in more customized, intuitive, innovative, engaging, secure, and time-saving ways.
The XD Research and Innovation Lab has a charter to explore, measure, test and experiment against all aspects of the customer experience within the Bank of America ecosystem. From financial centers and ATMs, to digital products, emerging technologies and anything in between and beyond. The XD Research and Innovation Lab is embedded with the design and product teams to ensure high quality, user-centered solutions while also identifying new opportunities to inform mid to long-range product planning.
As a Sr. Experience Design Researcher
You will build a deep understanding of our end users, business goals, competition, and our digital offerings and conduct analyses in a fast paced digital product environment. You possess research skills that enable you to conduct a variety of studies from exportations that generate new opportunities to improve the customer experience, foundational studies that inspire new workstreams, to experience health metrics that identify critical improvement areas, gaps, needs, and direction to guide future priorities within our digital products. You must be able to uncover and generate actionable insights that inform designers and product owners on how to shape the products. You’ll show up as business partner with a keen awareness of our goals and constraints. You inspire change and be an advocate for the end user and can present to partners and executives either virtually or in person. Your outcomes are succinct and digestible but also empower your partners with strong evidence and confidence to make informed decisions. Ultimately, it’s your job to inform and inspire our product and design teams with a true understanding of our end users, ensuring we can develop experiences that are natural, useful, and delightful.
- Work closely with cross functional product and design teams to develop research plans that will effectively meet the objectives.
- Conduct a variety of qualitative and quantitative research activities to provide a more comprehensive outcome that informs product and design teams. This includes but not limited to: usability studies, heuristic evaluations, interviews, contextual inquiries, surveys, benchmarking, diary studies, and longitudinal studies.
- Identify, evangelize, and pursue research opportunities that will proactively help product and design teams.
- Communicate and share your work at all times with concise and visual artifacts that make research digestible.
- Learn and contribute to Bank of America’s customer persona framework and be able to identify and recruit customer participants that meet the requirements of each research study.
You’re a person who has (required skills)
- At least 4-8 years of experience design research across channels (online, mobile, voice, or other physical customer experience channels)
- Degree in Usability Engineering, Research, Human-Computer Interaction, Cognitive Psychology, Anthropology or a related field
- Expert in the use of the latest tools and techniques in qualitative and quantitative design research
- Expert in Design Thinking and human-centered design, with experience in persona development, journey and experience mapping
- Highly skilled in planning and executing generative Design Thinking empathy research, and in planning and facilitating Design Thinking workshops and design ideation sessions
- Analytical skills and the ability to glean insights from research observations from generative and evaluative research findings and turn those insights into actionable design concepts
- Experience in ethnographic research as well as lab-based and remote qualitative and quantitative design and usability research
- The ability to identify themes and opportunities for design innovation from generative research.
- Ability take research from planning to execution and reporting to all levels in the organization.
- Strong facilitation, presentation and story-telling skills
- Ability to navigate cross functional teams to plan and execute research in a collaborative nature
- Knowledge of best practices in user interface design and the ability to make research-based design recommendations
- Knowledge of both Agile and Waterfall design and development processes
- Is a continuous learner who is open to feedback and adapts quickly and positively to change
- Is enthusiastic about experience design and research, highly motivated self-starter with a strong work ethic
- Has the confidence to question customer experiences & processes to make improvements
- Can take research from a vision to a plan, communicate to teammates and partners, efficiently execute foundational, generative and evaluative research and effectively present findings across different levels in the organization
- Collaborates effectively to get things done, building and nurturing strong relationships
- Is exceptional at problem-solving, issue resolution and time management
You’ll be better prepared if you have (desired skills)
- Master’s degree or PhD in Usability Engineering, Research, Human-Computer Interaction, Cognitive Psychology, Anthropology or a related field
- Experience with UserZoom and InVision Freehand
- Deep knowledge of and experience with research platforms, techniques and statistical analysis
- Exceptional facility with Keynote, Powerpoint, Excel, Jira
- Familiar with other presentation, prototyping and design collaboration tools
- Excellent communication and networking skills; able to drive consensus
We’re a culture that
- Is committed to building a workplace where every employee is welcomed and given the support and resources to build and advance their careers. Along with taking care of our clients we want to be a great place for people to work, and we strive to create an environment where all employees have the opportunity to achieve their goals.
- Believes diversity makes us stronger so we can reflect, connect to and meet the diverse needs of our clients around the world.
- Provides continuous training and developmental opportunities to help employees achieve their goals, whatever their background or experience.
- Is committed to advancing our tools, technology and ways of working. We always put our clients first to meet their evolving needs.
- Believes in responsible growth and is dedicated to supporting communities around the world by connecting them to the lending, investing and giving they need to remain vibrant and vital.
1st shift (United States of America)
Hours Per Week:
Learn more about this role