The Release Train Engineer’s (RTE) primary purpose is to support Agile Release Trains (ART) by steering them to success and navigating the complexity of delivering software consistently in large environments. The RTE’s focus is to deliver value by managing program level processes, execution, and continuous improvement, as well as Release Train Feature Roadmaps and planning.
Facilitates the coordinated preparation of release planning for the release train. This includes:
• Working with the Product Architect and Product UX Architect to assist the Product Manager who prioritizes the features to be considered in the next quarterly planning cycle.
• Assisting the Product Architect, Product UX Architect, and Product Manager in the refining of features to be considered in the next quarterly planning cycle to meet the Feature Definition of Ready.
• Assists the ART (Agile Release Train) in communication and coordination with stakeholders and customers during feature definition and delivery.
• Ensures effective communication and coordination for and during quarterly planning, including feature reviews and story alignment
• Manages change to the ART’s quarterly plan and the impacts of those changes
• Helps with the traceability of project features to application features/stories, as well as ensuring traceability in JIRA from business requirements to testing scripts
Release Train Transparency
• Assists the ART to remain transparent to itself, the teams on the train, and to the organization through:
o Backlog Management and ALM tool data integrity for accurate reporting. May include the collection of metrics, KPIs, investment mix reporting, and other reporting as needed by the release train or organization.
o Facilitation and continuous improvement of periodic ART Reviews with organizational leaders and stakeholders to provide clarity on the expected value delivery and to gain stakeholder feedback on changes to direction the release train may need to take.
o May include participation in and assisting in the improvement of the System Demo
• Drives the ART in the coordination of major feature releases and ongoing delivery of value to customers where multiple teams, release trains, or solution groups are involved in development and release by hosting RTC (Release Train Coordination) meetings as needed.
• Drives the ART and the Product Readiness Managers in the coordination of program level initiatives that cross multiple release trains.
• Drives the ART in resolving or reporting escalated issues involving risk, or dependency management that may be hindering the team’s ability to deliver features. Scrum masters and teams facilitate the resolution of impediments, dependencies and risks within their span of influence.
• Drives the ART to continuously improve through the facilitation of Art Retrospectives quarterly, or more often as needed, to improve backlog management, release train reviews, sprint reviews, or release train coordination and higher-level function.
• Active membership in the RTE Community of Practice helping the organization to maintain alignment, learn new techniques, and improve technical and quality practices. Work with RTE community to determine ways to help ARTs across the company improve cross train and solution group coordination and collaboration.
• Proficient knowledge of Scaled Agile Framework and ability to teach and coach teams, as well as program and portfolio level stakeholders, to adopt these practices
• Adept at Agile Work Management tools such as JIRA
• Takes full ownership of all aspects of PI Planning from preparation to execution to follow up
• Expert facilitator – will be responsible for facilitating feature refinement, prioritization, and other ART ceremonies
Payments or Banking background is highly preferred
• The RTE may be called upon to lead projects that impact the ART but may not require work being added to team backlogs.
• Assisting in the execution of product vision
• Coordination of production support, and continuous improvement of operational workflows and communication, etc.
• Prior RTE experience
1st shift (United States of America)
Hours Per Week:
Learn more about this role