This mid-level role supports Merrill Lynch’s delivery of investment products and services to its retail brokerage and investment advisory clients. Depending on candidate’s credentials and level of seniority, the role will report to either the leader of the Managed Solutions Group legal team or the Global Funds legal team, both of which are part of the Investment Solutions Group legal team.
• Providing general legal and regulatory advice to the retail Merrill Lynch and Merrill Edge product business units on Investment Advisers Act, Investment Company Act and FINRA and SEC Rules and Regulations.
• Advise clients on various aspects of investment advisory and brokerage product development and distribution as well as general fiduciary matters.
• Client contracts and ancillary documentation, advice to the business on marketing materials and RFP response support, review and of product materials and disclosure documents for Merrill Lynch investment advisory and fund offerings.
• Review and negotiate fund distribution and selling agreements.
• Advise clients on matters relating to the ongoing operation of Wrap Fee programs, including corporate governance, regulatory examinations and enforcement proceedings and back office operational issues.
Other responsibilities include:
• Providing legal support to the ISG capital markets and alternative investments businesses, including advising on public securities offerings, secondary trading matters, the distribution of hedge funds and private equity funds, and the formation of feeder funds.
Provides general legal counsel to AMGs investment management business as well as specific advice on products services and certain legal actions. Reviews legal contracts and documents. Directly or through staff conducts legal research. May represent the bank in legal actions. Individuals in this position typically have a minimum of six years of experience since admission to the Bar.
• A minimum of 5-10 years of experience as a practicing attorney.
• Candidate must be an effective communicator who is capable of collaborating with others.
• Proficient knowledge of the Investment Advisers Act of 1940.
• Working knowledge of the Securities Act of 1933, Securities Exchange Act of 1934, Investment Company Act of 1940, and SEC, FINRA and CFTC rules and regulations, including Regulation D private placement regulations.
• Familiarity with investment products and investment advisory services targeted at retail investors, including suitability considerations.
• Experience with advising on performance and marketing related materials under SEC and FINRA rules and regulations
Posting Date: 06/20/2018
Location: Boston, MA, 100 FEDERAL ST (MA5100), Charlotte, NC, HEARST TOWER, 214 N TRYON ST, - United States
Travel: Yes, 5% of the time